Sunday, February 6, 2011

Quiet PLEASE!

Before I begin please read the following disclaimer: I love my kids and they are my greatest accomplishment. They continually amaze me and make me smile I would do anything for them without hesitation.  That being said, THEY DRIVE ME INSANE. I know I was a talkative kid, I know I was nick-named Barbara Walters by my aunts. I remember countless times being told to be quiet and pay attention in school; being moved to the back of the class and then back up to the front because I couldn't control my chatter.  I never got involved in any sports or after-school activities but I was voted chatter-box in my high school year book senior year. I am now being served my karmic retribution because I have 2 of the most talkative little girls EVER. They wake up and start talking right away without pause. Sometimes I wish I could just say, "For the love of God, PLEASE, sit down and shut up for five minutes!" Even if I were that insensitive, cruel type of mother I don't think they could physically comply. I sent the oldest one to brush her teeth and before she got started she decided she had to pee. The whole time she was peeing, flushing the toilet, applying tooth-paste, and rinsing, she was talking to herself.  About what, I don't even know.  Her conversation was so riveting, the whole process took her almost 15 minutes.
I try to give her quiet things to do while the little one is napping and she still talks to herself.  I have been trying to teach her about strangers and why you shouldn't talk to them because everywhere we go she talks to whoever we see.  And not just your basic "hello", she will straight tell them her name and age, her sister's name and age, and all of my business.  She has no shame.  The other day she told her god-father that when her father sleeps he wears underwear. Then she laughed like it was the funniest thing she ever heard.  Thank God he doesn't have a fetish for wearing red panties, because everyone would know.  I have had plenty of strangers who she has befriended tel me "Wow, she's very talkative"  To which I just smile and nod...o they have no idea.  I know I'm lucky because they have so much personality and curiosity, which I know will take them far later but today, at 4 and 2 years old, they are exhausting me.  I thought naively, that maybe this last baby in my belly would be a calm, quiet one.  Then common sense and reality slapped me in the face and I realized that would be impossible with these two as role models.  Apparently Karma isn't a bitch...she's a super talkative little kid with a big personality. 

PS..if you didn't already figure it out, today was not a quiet day and I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment